Benefits of the Disability Certificate
- 1. Scholarship schemes for students with disabilities
- 2. Concession in railway fare
- 3. Rebate in income tax
- 4. Reservation in government jobs
- 5. Free travel in state transport buses
- 6. Loan for starting own business
- 7. Subsidized prosthetic aids and assistive devices (like wheelchairs)
- 8. Group insurance for government employees with disabilities
- 9. Unemployment allowance to educated disabled persons
- 10. Incentive for eye donors
A parent of the differently abled child or the person himself, will approach to the District Hospital providing all necessary documents and reports as following
- 1. Referral paper from the local health center
- 2. Two recent colored personal photos of the person with disability
- 3. Copy of the I.D. proof (Aadhar Card is best)
- 4. Copy of the address proof (Aadhar Card is best)
- 5. Copies of available medical reports
- 6.Copy of the previous Disability Certificate (in case it is being renewed)
- 1. The application can be made free of charge.
- 2. The IC will contain information like Identity card Number, Disability code, District code State code, etc.
- 3. A pass book will also be issued along with the IC. This pass book is meant to contain the details of various benefits and concessions provided to that person.
- 1. The certificate is valid for a period of five years.
- 2. When there are no chances of variation in the degree of disability, a permanent disability certificate is given.
- 3. In order to get a disability certificate a person requires a birth certificate and proof of residence. If a child is born at home, parents can get the birth certificate from their district magistrate.
Where to get disability medical certificate from?
From the authorized medical board constituted by the State Govt./Defence authority.
Medical board consists of a chief medical officer/ sub divisional medical officer in the District and another expert in the specified field. For Example ......
- an ophthalmic surgeon in case of visual handicaps
- an audiologist in case of speech & hearing handicaps
- an orthopaedic surgeon or a specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation in case of locomotor handicaps
- a psychiatrist or a clinical psychologist or a teacher in special education in case of mental handicaps
Disabled Welfare Department/ District hospital should issue the disability certificate to the person at the same time, after the sighing authority has signed it.